About 600g of winter vegetables, such as shallots or onions, carrots, squash or pumpkin, parsnip, celeriac, beetroot potatoes
1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
3 tablespoons rapeseed or olive oil
7 large or 8 medium eggs
A handful of mixed herbs, such as curly parsley, chives and thyme, finely chopped
About 20g Parmesan, hard's goat cheese or other well-flavored hard cheese, grated
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 190 degrees C.
2. Prepare your chosen veg: peel shallots or onions and quarter or thickly slice; peel carrots and cut into 5mm slices; peel squash or pumpkin, deseed and cut into 2-3cm cubes; peel parsnip, celeriac and beetroot and cut into 102cm cubes; cut potatoes into 1-2cm cubes.
3. Put all the veg into an ovenproof dish, about 23cm squared.
4. Add the garlic, oil, and plenty of salt and pepper and toss well.
5. Roast for about 40 minutes, stirring halfway through, until the veg are all tender and starting to caramelize in places.
6. Beat the eggs together with the chopped herbs and some more salt and pepper.
7. Take the dish from the oven, pour the egg evenly over the veg and scatter grated cheese on top.
8. Return to over for 10-15 minutes until egg is all set and the top is starting to color. If your oven has a grill (or broiler), you can use it to accelerate the browning on the top.
9. Leave to cool slightly, then slide the frittata onto a plate or board.
10. Serve warm or cold.