Wednesday, September 26, 2012
Gluten-free Goat's Cheese and Watercress Quiche
This vegetarian and gluten-free quiche makes it easy to have a hearty breakfast that will keep you satisfied all morning. It is from the BBC Good Food site, where you can find many yummy recipes to try. Combining clean protein, good fats, and healthy veg will make you feel like a champ! If you are not keen on watercress, try substituting spinach.
For the pastry:
225g gluten-free flour , plus extra for rolling
1 large egg , beaten, plus extra beaten egg for brushing
For the filling:
1 medium onion , finely chopped
1 tbsp oil
100g watercress , roughly chopped
2 large eggs
150ml log soft rindless goat's cheese , in rough chunks
freshly grated nutmeg , optional
1. Put the flour and a pinch of salt in a large bowl.
2. Rub in the butter until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
3. Stir in the egg and about 1-2 tbsp water to form a soft dough.
4. Knead well then wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6/fan 180C.
6. Knead the pastry again and roll it out to line a 20cm loose-bottomed flan tin (the pastry won't shrink, so no need to chill).
7. Patch holes with spare pastry and brush the base and sides with egg.
8. For the filling, fry the onion in the oil until just soft, add the watercress and cook until just wilted.
9. Beat the eggs and milk and stir in the watercress mixture and goat's cheese.
10. Season and if you like, add a pinch of nutmeg.
11. Put the flan tin on a bakingsheet and bake the pastry blind for 5 minutes.
12. Add the filling and bake for 15 minutes.
13. Reduce heat to 180C/gas 4/ fan 160C and cook for 25-30 minutes or until lightly set.
Nutrition per serving (recipe serves 4)
Fat 36 g
Saturated fat 15g
Salt 1.17 g