The recipe says the toasted breadcrumbs and pine nuts give a cheesy-flavor without the cheese (and therefore without the fat!).
3 Tbs. olive oil, divided
2/3 cup Arborio rice
3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
3 ¼ tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
2 cups sliced cabbage
1 bay leaf
2 slices Italian bread, torn into 1-inch pieces (1 cup)
¼ cup pine nuts
1 15.5-oz. can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1. Heat 2 Tbs. oil in pot over medium heat. Add rice, and sauté 6 minutes, or until toasted, stirring occasionally.
2. Stir in garlic and rosemary, and cook 2 minutes more.
3. Add broth, cabbage, and bay leaf; cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 minutes.
4. Pulse bread and pine nuts in food processor until small crumbs form.
5. Heat remaining 1 Tbs. oil in skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumb mixture, and sauté 5 minutes, or until breadcrumbs are crisp and toasted.
6. Add beans to soup, and cook 5 minutes more, or until rice is tender.
7. Remove bay leaf, and stir in breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.