From this eye-opening blog, I have chosen a recipe for Easy Cheesy Crackers. We often will have crackers and hummus as a snack or light meal.
1 cup whole-wheat flour
5 tablespoons cold butter, cut into tablespoon size chunks
4 oz. or 1 ½ cups grated cheddar cheese…the sharper the cheese the cheesier the crackers
* If you are adventurous try adding different spices to the dough: black and red pepper, fresh or dried rosemary, diced olives, or jalapeños
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Combine all three ingredients in a food processor and blend. The mixture will eventually turn into one big ball chasing itself around the bowl. Be patient because it can take a few minutes.
3. Roll the ball into a log about 1 ½” in diameter. At this point you could refrigerate the dough until later.
4. With a sharp knife slice ¼” thick pieces off the log (pictured above) and place each one flat on an ungreased baking sheet. Try to rotate which side you are cutting down on because the top of the log does start to flatten a little. It is like your very own homemade slice and bake!
5. If you want your crackers to look a little fancy, take a fork and gently mash down the top of each one before baking.
6. Bake for 8 – 14 minutes or until golden brown. The thicker the crackers the longer it will take.