This light and summery recipe is tagged as “vegetarian, vegan, low-fat, and super healthy” on the BBC’s Good Food website. The reviews all agreed is was easy to make and could be used as a side dish or a main course. Some people added in chicken or chorizo to make it more hardy. Go ahead and give it a try!
* For those in USA, courgette = zucchini *
Ingredients1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion and 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
350g carnaroli or other risotto rice
1 tsp chopped rosemary
1½ liter hot vegetable stock
3 courgettes, finely diced
140g peas, fresh or frozen
large handful basil, lightly torn
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Cook the onion and garlic for 5 mins until the onion has softened.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 3-4 mins until softened and pulpy.
- Then add the rice and rosemary.
- Pour in half the stock and leave to cook for 10 mins or until the liquid has evaporated, stirring from time to time.
- Add the rest of the stock, then continue to cook for a further 5 mins.
- Stir in the courgettes and peas, then cook for another 5 mins or so, stirring until the rice is tender, but the mixture is still a bit saucy.
- Can be frozen at this stage for up to 1 month. (reviews said it didn’t freeze well)
- Season with plenty of black pepper, then add the basil and stir until wilted. Serve immediately.
Nutrition info per serving:406 kcalories
5g fat (saturated fat 1g)
0.51 g salt