Smoothies are an easy, satisfying snack we have frequently in my house. In the summer, we serve 'em up (with a little whey protein thrown in) after workouts. Today I made them because I saw one at the mall and developed a craving. Since making my own, I never order them while out. I can taste the difference with the sugary, syrupy mix. Here is how I make them:
You will need: frozen banana (freeze brown bananas for banana bread and smoothies rather than throw away), frozen berries (you can get mixes in the freezer section of your local grocery store), low-fat yogurt, orange juice, honey or agave nectar, and a blender
1. Leave frozen banana out for a few minutes to thaw slightly. By using frozen fruit, you won't need to add ice.
2. Add 1/2 cup of low-fat yogurt (any flavor you like) and 1/2 cup of frozen berries (can be any fruit, even avocado) to blender.
3. Cut banana into smaller chunks and add to blender.
4. Add a splash of orange juice. The more OJ you add, the thinner the smoothie will be.
5. If using plain yogurt, I like to add honey or agave nectar as a natural sweetener.
6. You can also add flaxseed/linseed, protein, or other supplements to add additional nutritional value.
7. Blend. You may need to stir the mix with a spatula in an air pocket develops in the bottom of the blender.
8. Serve with a straw.
Of course, you should experiment with fruit, yogurt, and juice flavors to find a combination you like. Enjoy!